MapInfo Discover is the desktop Geographical Information System (GIS) designed especially for the geosciences, providing the tools to effectively compile, visualize, analyze and map spatial geoscience data. Since its release in 1994, Discover with MapInfo Professional has become the GIS of choice for geologists, environmental scientists, cartographers, exploration managers and database administrators.
See: Release Notes
- produce scaled geological maps, with titleblocks, map grids, legends, structural symbols, etc
- compile drillhole data and create cross-sections, plans
- create logs and drill sections along linear and non-linear path
- large grid format support, USGS DEM, GeoTiffs, Geopak etc
- reproject, clip, overlay and merge and other tasks
- hydrology toolbox: extract drainage features from gridded surfaces, pit filling, flow direction, slope, accumulation and threshold calculations, point extraction, hierarchical stream ranking, watershed/catchment delineation
- import LIDAR LAS data as attributed points for 2D and 3D viewing
- manipulate, analyze gridded LIDAR, convert multiple LIDAR ASCII and LAS datasets
- command search tool
- edit, profile, analyze gridded surfaces
- analyze and visualize geochemical data
- rectify raster images
- create graphs with maintained spatial links for interactive analysis
- connect to other geological systems, databases and file formats
- optionally display your GIS data in 3D (MapInfo Discover 3D)
- integrate with a field GIS (MapInfo Discover Mobile)
Discover Training for Geologists
Maximize your your time and software investment through a training course designed to provide geologists with an overview of Discover and its advanced features.
» Click here for more information.
MapInfo Discover requires MapInfo Professional version 15.0 or later.
MapInfo Discover is supported by:
- Windows® 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows® 8.1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Apple Macintosh OSX and Linux operating systems are NOT supported.
- Virtualisation systems such as Citrix, Mac Parallels or VMWare are NOT supported.
- Windows XP & Vista are NOT supported.
- Pentium 4 series or equivalent CPU processor
- 2 Gigabytes of RAM memory
- A monitor of at least XGA capability 1024 x 768 resolution)
- Core 2 series or equivalent CPU processor (note MapInfo Discover does not utilise multiple CPU cores in most tools.)
- 4 Gigabytes of RAM memory
- A monitor of at least SXGA capability (1280 x 1024 resolution)
- MapInfo Professional 15.0 and later supports Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).
- The install wizard checks for the following and prompts you if not already on your system; you can choose to have the install wizard install these requirements, or cancel the installation if you do not want to proceed.
Note the following are all 32-bit (x86) versions, even if installing on a Windows 64-bit OS:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Client Profile and Extended)
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2 (x86) for Windows Desktop
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable (x86)
- SlimDX runtime .NET 4.0 x86 January 2012 (end user runtime)